A map of Carrick Township can be found on the Bruce County GenWeb website. Carrick Township was named for the Earl of Carrick.
Carrick Township Places
- Ambleside – an early post office and hamlet on the western border of the township. The first postmaster was M. Henry Hartman, who was appointed in June, 1869, and “absconded” in January, 1870.
- Balaclava – its post office, named Glenlyon, opened in 1856 and closed in 1872. Balaclava was originally settled by three Shannon brothers. John Shannon was the first postmaster, and also operated a tavern. One of his brothers operated a store.
- Carlsruhe – an early post office and hamlet. The post office was established in 1864.
- Deemerton – its post office opened in 1880 and closed in 1926. Bernard Ruland was postmaster from 1883 until his death in 1926.
- Formosa – a village settled by Alsace Germans. A brewery was established in 1870 and a Roman Catholic church was built in 1883.
- Mernersville – an early name for Mildmay. Named after Samuel Merner, who did the original survey.
- Mildmay – a village, established in 1867. It had several mills and factories, and a newspaper, The Mildmay Gazette.
Carrick Township Notable People
Robert Edwin Clapp was a Mildmay physician with an interest in politics. He was reeve of Carrick Township in the late 1890s and was member of the Ontario Legislature from 1905 to 1908.
Hockey Night in Mildmay: The Glory Days of Hockey in Mildmay, Ontario by John Thompson, 2006.
Historical Walks Through Carrick and Mildmay by the Mildmay – Carrick Historical Society, 1989.
History and Stories of Formosa and Area by the Formosa Old Boys’ Reunion Committee, 1980, H. M. Kuntz.
History of the County of Bruce by Norman Robertson, 1906.
In and Around the Forty Hills of Carrick about Forty Years Ago by Roy Wiseman, 1990.
Those Were the Days: A Pictorial History of Formosa Schools, 1854-1991, School Book Committee, 1991.