Kincardine Township was named after the Earl of Elgin and Kincardine, who was the Governor General of Canada when the township was surveyed.
Kincardine Township Places
- Armow – a post office and hamlet on the 7th Concession. The post office originally opened in 1857 under the name Reekie. It reopened in 1869 with the new name Armow.
- Bervie – a post office and hamlet on the 1st Concession, which was the Durham Road (Highway 9). It was named after a town in Kincardineshire, Scotland. The post office opened on Lot 54 in 1853.
- Egypt – an early nickname for the part of the 10th Concession east of the 20th side-line.
- Eskdale – a post office on the townline of Kincardine and Bruce townships. Depending on who the postmaster was, some years it was located in Bruce Township and other years it was located in Kincardine Township.
- Glamis – see Greenock Township.
- Kincardine – a village on the shore of Lake Huron, first settled in 1848. The post office was established under the name of Kincardine in 1851, but the village was known as Penetangore until it was incorporated in 1858.
- Kingarf – a hamlet on the townline of Kincardine and Kinloss Townships.
- Lorne – a hamlet at Lot 48 of the Lake Range (Concession A).
- Millarton – a post office and hamlet on the 1st Concession, which was the Durham Road (Highway 9). It was named for William Millar, who was a township reeve.
- Penetangore – the early name for the town of Kincardine.
- Port Head – a post office and hamlet on Lots 32, 33 and 34 of the Lake Range (Concession A). Village lots were surveyed in 1856. The post office opened in 1857. The wharf and storehouse were destroyed in a storm in 1857, and the hamlet rapidly disappeared. The hamlet was also known as Stoney Island.
- Reekie – a post office and hamlet on the 7th Concession, founded by William Reekie. The post office opened in 1857, and closed in 1868. It reopened in 1869, renamed Armow.
- Stoney Island – an early hamlet, also known as Port Head.
- Tiverton – is situated on the boundary of Kincardine and Bruce townships. It was incorporated as a village in 1879.
Kincardine Township Notable People
Robert Baird, born 1832 in Picton, Ontario, arrived in the village of Kincardine in 1855, and became a leading grain merchant. In 1872 he became Warden of Bruce County. The Canadian biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self-made men: Ontario volume contains a biographical sketch of Robert Baird.
James Brown, born in Nova Scotia in 1797, was the first mayor of the village of Kincardine. The Canadian biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self-made men: Ontario volume contains a biographical sketch of James Brown.
Margaret H. Brown, born in 1887, was a missionary in China, and an author. She wrote MacGillivray of Shanghai, a biography of missionary and scholar Donald MacGillivray.
Andrew Malcolm, born 1840 in Killearn, Scotland, was a Kincardine furniture manufacturer and politician. His biography appears in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.
Rev. Isaac O. Stringer, Anglican Bishop of Selkirk. A biographical sketch can be found at http://justus.anglican.org/resources/pc/canada/bheeney/3/7.html, and a photograph can be viewed at http://justus.anglican.org/resources/pc/images/canada/istringer.jpg.
Lieut-Col Hugh Clark, MPP. Represented Bruce Centre in the Ontario Legislature from 1908 to 1911.
Angus Jonas McLeod, born 1861 in Kincardine, was a Presbyterian minister and school principal in western Canada. His biography appears in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.
Ae’ Glint on Ither Days – Tiverton and district by Hilda Downey. Published by the Bruce County Historical Society.
History of the County of Bruce by Norman Robertson, 1906.
MacGillivray of Shanghai: the life of Donald MacGillivray by Margaret H. Brown, 1968.
Toil, tears & triumph: a history of Kincardine Township. Wanita Hollands Fletcher, editor; Isabelle Munro, assistant editor. Published by the Kincardine Township Historical Society, 1990.