Lindsay Township was named after Earl Lindsay.
Lindsay Township Places
- Brinkman’s Corners – an early post office, named after brothers Joseph Brinkman and John Brinkman Sr. who homesteaded on lots 35 and 36 of the 4th concession EBR.
- Cabot Head – its lighthouse was built in 1896. Named by Governor Simcoe in honour of explorer John Cabot.
- Cape Chin – its first school, School Section # 3, was built in 1887.
- Clarks Corners – on the 2nd concession WBR at Ira Lake. William Clarke and family homesteaded at lot 1 in the 1870s.
- Dyers Bay – a post office was opened here in 1881, and Thomas Tindall was the first postmaster.
- Miller Lake – in the middle of the township. Named for B. B. Miller, first Indian Land Agent at Wiarton. John Witherspoon was the postmaster for many years.
Lindsay Township Notable People
Horace Lymburner and his son Robert built Lindsay Township’s first lumber mill at Dyers Bay near Gillies Lake in 1881.
Alexander MacDonald was a highly regarded reeve of the united townships of Lindsay and St. Edmunds from 1887 to 1900. He arrived in Lindsay from Huron Township in 1877. In 1879 he was responsible for establishing, on land he provided on the first concession, both St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and School Section #1 School.
The Bruce Beckons by W. Sherwood Fox, 1952.
History of the County of Bruce by Norman Robertson, 1906.
Proud people: the Lindsay Township history book, compiled by the Lindsay Township Historical Society, 1987.