Huron Township Places
- Amberley – on the southern boundary of the township and county, adjacent to Ashfield Township in Huron County.
- Lewis Settlement – in 1852 109 families from the Isle of Lewis in Scotland settled in the middle of the township.
- Lochalsh – its first settlers in 1849 were from the Kyle of Lochalsh in Scotland.
- Lurgan – this post office, on the lake range, was opened in 1860. Its first postmaster was J. W. Gamble, who had previously established the Pine River post office.
- Ripley – A village situated near the middle of the township, it was named for a town in Derbyshire, England. Its post office opened in 1853.RipleyHuron Township Hall, built 1090, in Ripley“To the honour and memory of those who so nobly served in the Great War” Click on image to read namesWorld War II memorial Click on image to read names
- Pine River – The township’s first settler, Louis Bellemore, built a tavern at the mouth of the Pine River in 1848. The first postmaster, J.W. Gamble, was appointed in 1853. The post office was eventually moved further to the northeast, on the 7th concession.
- Point Clark – in the southwest corner of the township, originally known as Pine Point. The Point Clark Lighthouse, built in the late 1850s, is a national historic site.
- Purple Grove – this post office in the north east corner of the township was established in 1876 and closed in 1915. John N. Logan was postmaster for the entire period.
- Verdun – An early post office on the 3rd concession.
Huron Township Notable People
John Stevenson McDonald settled In Huron township in 1855. He was elected township councillor, township reeve, county warden, and member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario.
Families and Farms of Huron Township with its Hub, Ripley, ed. Gwen Smith Harrison, 1985.
A History of Huron and its Hub Ripley: Ripley-Huron reunion, Aug. 1-2-3-4, 1975.
History of the County of Bruce by Norman Robertson, 1906.
Ripley 1875 – 1992: Huron’s Hub: People, Activities, Homes by Ripley Historical Group, 1994.