St. Edmunds Township was named after the town of Bury St. Edmunds in England.
St. Edmunds Township Places
- Crane River – in 1872 a saw-mill and shingle-mill were erected here.
- Dunk’s Bay – was first settled in 1871.
- McVicar’s – a later name for Crane River. The mills at Crane River were purchased by Peter McVicar in 1880.
- Tobermory – at the tip of the peninsula. Named after the town on the Isle of Mull in Scotland. The post office was established in 1881, although there was settlement by 1871.
St. Edmunds Township Notable People
Peter McVicar, a mill owner, was the first reeve of the united townships of Lindsay and St. Edmunds in 1883, and many years previously, in 1856, had been the first reeve of Carrick Township.
The Bruce Beckons by W. Sherwood Fox, 1952.
Down memory lane: pioneers in St. Edmunds Township by Dora Wyonch White and Cora Wyonch, 1994.
Hewers of the forests, fishers of the lakes: the history of St. Edmunds Township, compiled by the Township of St. Edmunds, 1985.
History of the County of Bruce by Norman Robertson, 1906.